Sunday 25 November 2012

Have you ever been Biff Tannened?


Morgan's Tarot, US Games
Okay, today's 3-card draw from Morgan's Tarot (US Games 1970, 1983, 2009) is nothing short of slap upside the head. It has the usual cheeky attitude seen in all the cards in the Morgan's Tarot oracle deck. I haven't sat for meditation --formal, sitting meditation complete with candles and timer and all my usual rituals-- since 9th November. I haven't been paying much attention to anything, to be honest. I've worked out only three times this month. Yet I've stopped at the shops on the way home from work for chocolate...well, let's just say rather more frequently. 


So what does Morgan's Tarot do? It knocks on my head like Biff from Back to the Future. 'Hello! Hello!', it says, 'Does consciousness ring a bell?' Then it shoves a big fat OM sign in my face, while a voice from above says, 'The war has reached critical point between Atlantis and Mu.' 

(Well, Zen teachers have been known to whack their students in the head. It's an age old tradition.)

I have to admit, I've not been very 'conscious' lately. In fact, I've been virtually entirely reactive. Happens to the best of us, and the length of time we stay in that state can be amazingly long. When we finally wake up again, we're like whoa! Can it have been 20 days since I last sat at my altar? Have I really not observed a full moon in six months? Or whatever your thing might be. 

Now about that last card. Most people have heard of Atlantis, but Mu might be a little more obscure. There is a belief among many that an ancient civilization existed on a lost continent in the Atlantic Ocean, called Atlantis. Mu is another lost continent in the Pacific Ocean that co-existed with Atlantis, which for some reason doesn't receive nearly as much press. Apparently, some believe that a war of 'mutually assured destruction' took place between the two cultures of Atlantis and Mu. Atlantis struck first. It seems that Atlantis was a war-like and technological culture, while Mu (also called Lemuria) was peaceful, idyllic and more into spiritual, magical things. But either way, apparently they blew each other up. Personally, I've never entertained the idea that Atlantis existed, and I've only just found out about Mu, but there are lots of people who believe fervently in both.

Well then,  how has the 'war' reached critical point between 'Atlantis and Mu' in my life? I think this means I'm using my words and sphere of influence improperly, in an unbalanced way. I should not say out loud my every thought or concern,  when doing so might sow seeds of anger or dissension. I should practice more silence, if forgiveness is just too much to ask of me at this point. And of course, meditation and mindfulness (consciousness) is one of the best ways to get back into a place where healthy silence becomes a possibility. 

So I guess it's time to dust off the meditation bench.

4 comments:

  1. Ha ha, that is quite a wake-up call! And while you say you haven't been very conscious, I see your posts here showing a great deal of thought and self-reflection - a sitting practice is not the only practice...

    Still, if it gets you back on your meditation bench, and helps with angry emotions and silence, then hey, go for it! I've been loving chanting daily for the last couple weeks - I chanted Om namo bhagavate vasudevaya this morning, blissful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did Sodarshan Chakra Kriya and it made me feel like I was going to throw up. Ha ha. I did Raviana Yoga Bliss Hips. You know, I can't really sit in rock pose anymore. I ended up sticking a yoga block on my ankles and perching on that.

    I'm thinking of doing just yoga for the coming weeks; maybe I'll get some flexibility back. (Which I was never very flexible anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, before I started doing yoga I couldn't touch the floor with even just my fingertips when bending forward. These days, my hands are flat on the floor and I still have a bend in my elbows. So, it's certainly capable of making you more flexible than you ever were :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often like to think of my blogging and other contemplation as meditation, but I think I should get outside my own head sometimes, too. This is why chanting meditation or kundalini yoga kriyas involving repetitive movements are good for me. It's hard for your mind to wander when you've been holding your arms over your head for 10 minutes (sat kriya), or when you're chanting something like the Heart Sutra or a longish mantra. But I do get what you're saying, thanks for reminding me.

    I love om namo bhagavate vasudevaya!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: