Friday 1 February 2013

Tarot Blog Hop: Imbolc 2013

Tarot Blog Hop 2013 Imbolc Previous Blog:  TABI

Welcome, Tarot Blog Hoppers! Imbolc is here again already.  Is it just me, or does that wheel seem to be turning faster and faster?

So, what's 'in my belly'? What is in my spring? What shall I birth this season? These are the questions we're meant to answer this time around...

I'm so eager to see the earth spring to life, I asked myself, what is the most exuberant deck I own? And the first deck that came to mind was Wheel of the Year Tarot! I decided to draw three cards with no position:


Just look at those cards! Look at those colours! So fantastically spring-y. Ahhh. They practically warm my toes in my slippers. (You may notice I've cropped all borders off the deck, and written the numbers on in silver. I also drew a wiggly silver inner border around the majors. I quite like the effect.)




The story told by these cards is a very happy one. The Sun card, to me, represents the new season, the new year, the new awakening of the earth. The card is so beautiful, the glowing light of the sun in a yellow sky makes me feel warm just looking at it. And meditating before the sun is a very muscled Horned One. Now, I know he's not supposed to be born yet at this time of year, but you know he's always around, and he is over there in card 3 of the spread, right? (I mean, who else could she be pregnant with?) What better representation could there be of the Wheel of the Year than to have the Horned One manifested in all his guises right there in the very first spread, because now that I look at it, the middle card can represent the dying god as well. And yes, they're out of order because, well, the whole story makes very little sense, and life and time are such a hodgepodge that sometimes it feels just like this--a jumble of images, not necessarily remembered in the right order. So, we start with the Sun, shining out at me, contemplating its own splendour. It is the light within, the hara, the fire in the belly; it certainly makes me feel warm in my belly. The Sun is me, the me inside.

Then there's the 8 of Cups, which shows someone leaving behind this weepy young maid in the pink, but to me, this is not a  teary good-bye to someone who will be missed, but a good-bye to the tears themselves, and to the cause of them. I see this card as signifying the end of some misery for me. I've sat and looked at that card for a long time now, and I see it as the Sun in my belly driving the sadness out. Good-bye to something that's been bothering me for a long time. Good-bye. Good-bye to being the weepy little girl. Good-bye, good-bye, good-bye.

And now that there's this fresh-swept place where the sadness had been, what better to fill it with than an inner contentment that mimics the glow of a pregnant woman? There's something about this particular 7 of Coins that seems so very placid and happy. The card suggests to me that the seeds of my future happiness in 2013 are planted and taking firm root in this Imbolc season. And without going into details, I actually do feel like important things are happening in my personal growth.

This reading fills me with hope and warmth and...the need to sing a song from 'West Side Story'---

I gotta feeling there's a miracle due--
Gonna come true--
Coming to me!
Could it be? Yes it could!
Something's coming, something good
If I can wait
Something's coming, I don't know
what it is
but it is
Gonna be great!

And for some reason, I need to sing one from a completely different musical----

LE-E-E-E-E-T THE SUN SHI-I-I-I-INE! 
LET THE SUN SHINE IN!
THE SU-U-U-U-N SHINE IN!
(Everybody now)
LET THE SUN SHINE!
LET THE SUN SHINE IN!
THE SU-U-U-U-N SHINE IN!!!  (tee hee)

Whew.

Well, it's certainly no quiet, contemplative Imbolc for me this year. I'm not turning inward to meditate on the sleeping seeds in the frozen earth. I feel like the earth -- and the universe -- is simply straining at the seams with LIFE.  I feel like golden rays are about to burst out of my chest, and let me tell you, I needed a bit of that.

So to one and all I wish blessings, namaste, sat nam, and as Tarot by Arwen would say, 'Seek joy, y'all.'

Which, by the way, brings us to the next blog on our Imbolc Tarot Blog Hop journey:


Tarot Blog Hop 2013 Imbolc Next Blog: Tarot by Arwen


An Imbolc Tarot Spell
Edited to add: I didn't provide a spread so I thought I'd come back and suggest a tarot spell for you. Brigid is the goddes of the hearth, the forge and intuition. Try this:

Prepare 3 candles: one for hearth, one for forge, one for intuition.
Select three tarot cards that seem to embody your goals or desires for those three areas in your life: hearth (home), forge (work), intuition (spiritual, creative, etc)
Lay out the cards and light a candle for each. Let them burn down, you know the drill.

Blessed be!
 

22 comments:

  1. Loved your reading! I have seen this deck for sale and always found it a bit cartoonish, but seeing you read with it suddenly piqued my curiosity...

    I feel like the sad woman in the 8 of Cups/7 of Coins improved her situation by putting her energy and love into something that can really bring her fruits, instead of wasting herself on a person who won't be there for her. I think it's a very positive message of knowing where to plant your seed, where to invest your time and energy.

    I feel a bit sad for not being able to join the Tarot Blog Hop. It's Lughnasadh here, not Imbolc. :( There's no southern blog hop. *snif*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I forgot you were in Argentina! For some reason I always think you are in Portugal. :) I love what you say about the woman improving her situation, and learning where to plant her energy. :D

      Maybe you should start a southern hemi blog hop. Hey, Saturness, I want to get in touch with you about something, maybe you could message me on Aeclectic Tarot or send me an email at rowan_tarot@yahoo.co.uk?? Thanks!

      Delete
    2. By the way, if you look in the Index you can click on Wheel of the Year and see 7 other readings I have done with the deck. :)

      Delete
    3. Oh, I'll definitely take a look! It's one of the few imported decks I've found in a local bookstore... they always charge a LOT for them, so I may as well research well before buying. :)

      By the way, I sent you an email!

      As for the Southern Blog Hop, I don't know if there are enough S.H. hemisphere people for that, but I think I'll do a small post dedicated to the Lughnasadh here, as well as the Yemanja day that is tomorrow - an important date here in Brazil!

      Delete
    4. Doh! Brazil, that's it! You'll have to pardon my lack of geography--I am American after all. ;)

      Delete
  2. It occurs to me that I didn't present you with a spread, nor do much in the way of giving my take on the holiday of Imbolc. But I hope I did communicate the overwhelming sense of SOMETHING N THE HORIZON in this Wheel of the Year in my life. You know, my card of the year for 2013 is the Chariot, and today at least I am feeling it for sure. Blessings and blessings to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. " a good-bye to the tears themselves, and to the cause of them" is a lovely way to see the 8 of Cups. I rather like this deck. Reminds me of the Buckland Romani deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I need to have a look at that Buckland Romani deck.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic reading! Love the way you sent the 8 of Cups packing... reminds me of an old wartime song :)

    "Goodbye-ee, goodbye-ee,
    Wipe the tear, baby dear, from your eye-ee!
    Tho' it's hard to part I know,
    I'll be tickled to death to go.
    Don't cry-ee, don't sigh-ee,
    There's a silver lining in the sky-ee,
    Bonsoir, old thing, cheer-i-o, chin, chin,
    Nap-poo, too-dle-oo,
    Goodbye-ee."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have find this on YouTube, it totally made me hoot out loud with laughter just reading it! Thanks :) x

      Delete
    2. http://www.firstworldwar.com/audio/goodbyeee.htm

      Delete
  5. Oi, Imbolc.......this Carla's blog, go get your own. lol. I like these images too Carla. Was this the deck with the card where the lady see's the reflection of herself and a gentleman friend in the river that put on a few weeks ago?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this is the one! Well remembered! It's called Wheel of the Year.

      Delete
  6. What lovely images, Carla! they are really bright and cheerful, as you say! It does all feel very optimistic and that there is something just around the corner!

    Love the little Tarot spell that you slipped in at the end there - am going to try that too! I'm going to have a really busy weekend with all these new spreads to try out!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your warm, high energy Imbolc! And I really have to finally get around to watching West Side Story ;)

    Goodbye to tears, hello to sunshine and a world of possibility :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't seen West Side Story! Okay, I've got an idea. Movie weekend. Pyjama night. Popcorn, musicals, pizza. You have woeful gaps in your musical theatrical experience!

      Delete
    2. Ooh, love the sound of that!! My Dear One doesn't like musicals (nor did my ex, actually) so I can only watch them on my own :(

      Delete
    3. Well, your place or mine, whichever! :)

      Delete
  8. The best musical ever: Pink Floyds 'The Wall' Bob Geldof shaving his eyebrows off and turning into a dictator. Lovely Film lol....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. How does one join the blog hop? I would be in on a Southern Hemisphere one Saturness? Or any one.... Love those cards Carla... I have never been attracted to that deck before. Great lighting to get the colours to show so well.

    I celebrated Brighids Feast day anyway as I always do in February, whatever hemisphere I happen to be in!!

    Oh and I had no idea you were American :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contact Tarot by Arwen, I think she is the one in charge. It's a Facebook group, but I am not on Facebook, so I have a contact who acts as a go-between for me. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi! To join the Tarot Blog Hop, go to http://www.facebook.com/TarotBlogHop and request to join. :D It's easier if you have FB but we can make it work even if you don't.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment here: